Current open positions:
Elementary Science Specialist
We’re looking for an Elementary Science Specialist who is passionate about helping elementary teachers teach science. Your job will be to take the lead on creating a set of auxiliary resources for our Mystery Science curriculum. A small team of us have been working hard for a few years creating one of the easiest to use, and most popular science curriculums in the country. As more and more school districts adopt Mystery Science as their official curriculum and roll it out to all of their teachers, we’ve received requests for some additional resources that will make adopting Mystery Science easier for schools and districts. You will help make it even easier for teachers across the country to have immediate success teaching Mystery Science. We’re located in the heart of San Francisco and this role will be an opportunity to join the Mystery Science Headquarters team.
What is Mystery Science?
Mystery Science creates open-and-go lessons that inspire kids to love science. We’re currently active in 10% of US schools. We reach children before they've lost their natural curiosity so we can help the next generation develop a scientific understanding of the world. We are reaching hundreds of thousands of children this school year by helping classroom teachers and homeschoolers to teach science. Our plan is to be teaching 5 million kids in America each week by 2020 and we're well on our way.
Mystery Science was started by two long-time friends, Doug Peltz and Keith Schacht. Doug was a master classroom teacher, a science department head, and the creator of an original science curriculum that made science the most popular subject at his school. Keith Schacht, our CEO, has started and sold three technology companies, was a product manager at Facebook, and a TED speaker.
On any given day, here are some of the exciting things you might be working on:
- Develop scope and sequences to help teachers incorporate Mystery Science into their instruction
- Develop strategies and tools for organizing and managing hands-on materials
- Create resources that communicate alignment with NGSS
- Align our lessons with state science standards
- Curate teacher generated resources
- Extend our instructional resources
- Respond to customer questions about our lessons
- Create auxiliary materials such as vocabulary lists, additional assessments etc
- extensive knowledge of the Next Generation Science Standards
- deep familiarity with the experience of elementary teachers
- 3+ years of teaching experience (K-5 preferred)
- experience offering professional development and trainings for K-5 teachers
- highly organized and detail oriented
- experience working with schools and school districts in different capacities
What is the Mystery Science team like?
On your first day at Mystery Science, you’ll meet 17 people who are passionate about science and teaching, and who each love their respective crafts. Our co-founder, Doug Peltz, began by assembling a team of the best science explainers in the world from the Exploratorium, Klutz, LePort Schools, Stanford, and the Field Museum. Our focus on people extends to every area of the company. We’re building the team that we want to work with (http://mysteryscience.com/team) We are also a product-driven company. The core of what we do is create an incredible product that our customers love. We test every science activity, observe every explanation with children, and talk with teachers constantly. We take our responsibility to envision the future of learning very seriously and we want to bring the best science education to every child in the world. This is an opportunity to join a startup and transform science education for the next generation of children.
What’s the next step?
If you are inspired by our mission and passionate about helping teachers succeed and transforming science education for kids, we’d like to hear from you!