We suggest an optional activity that helps students gain a better understanding of the cardinal directions (north, south, east, west).
For this activity, you will need to make four signs:
You will use these signs to label your classroom walls with the appropriate cardinal direction. To identify which sign goes where, you can use a compass or Google Maps.
Here’s how to identify the directions using Google Maps:
- Open Google Maps and enter your school’s street address.
- Zoom in on your school and look at the surrounding streets and landmarks.
- North is always up on Google Maps. Find a landmark that’s to the north of your school.
- Put North on the wall that’s closest to that landmark.
- Face North. Put West on the wall to your left, East on the wall to your right, and South on the wall behind you.